The Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition has been collaborating with key community partners (City of Santa Barbara, COAST,Santa Barbara School District...) to offer successful bilingual Family Bike Events (Bici Familia) where riders of all ages have the opportunity to learn to ride a bicycle safely under the guidance of certified League Cycling Instructors (LCIs). Parents are encouraged to attend, participate and volunteer. Loaner bikes and low-cost helmets are available for participants without gear.
Feel free to print out the Family Release Waiver and bring it to the event, so you don't have to wait to get right into the Bici Familia experience.
"I love SBBIKE for everything they do especially at Adams Elementary School where many kids have never even ridden a bike before. The Family Bike Night/Bici Familia at Adams is always a hit. I have personally witnessed children literally learn to ride a bike at that event. Kudos to everything they do for our community!" Carey Caulfield, Parent at Adams Elementary School.
"What happens when 41 volunteers from the Carpinteria Children's Project and Family School ,SBBIKE, Bici Centro , COAST , Traffic Solutions , and our community Promotores and ELAC members work together to bring teaching talent, bike mechanic skills, and loaner bikes to Carpinteria? The answer is:
- 102 children and 68 parents participated and learned about bicycle safety
- 102 children practiced safe bike handling skills on fun blacktop obstacle and rodeo courses under the supervision of caring adults
- 91 children went home with brand new helmets which were purchased for only $5 (thanks to generous supporters)
- 53 loaner bikes, including toddler-size balance bikes, were available for children and adults to use
- 15-18 children learned how to ride a bike for the first time
- 55 bikes were valet parked and repaired by skilled bike mechanics
- Too-many-to-count families enjoyed delicious food provided by ELAC volunteers & Don Roge tacos
- Too-many-to-count cyclists went on a group ride thru the State Beach and town of Carpinteria
- 100% of the participants had a blast!!!" Chris Sobell, Carpinteria Unified School District.
Youth Bike Education is supported by Measure A, County of Santa Barbara, City of Santa Barbara, City of Goleta and City of Carpinteria