Are you intimidated by the way people who drive dominate the roads? Here is a new class that you have been waiting for!
Confident City Cycling (aka Traffic Skills 101 by the League of American Bicyclists) is a 2-part workshop for riders (age 16+) who know how to ride a bike, and are looking for instruction to build skills and confidence while learning more about traffic laws in California, crash avoidance, lane positioning, and basic bike maintenance. In order to attend this class, you need to pre-register for Confident City Cycling (Part 1) on Friday evening.
1) On Friday evening, participants will learn all the important aspects of basic and responsible bike usage: fixing flats, ABC quick check, bike fit and some safety considerations (no bike necessary).
2) On Saturday morning, they will understand their rights & responsibilities as a driver operating a bicycle safely and legally on public roadways. Most importantly, they will develop the ability to identify unsafe traffic situations and make decisions that can prevent crashes and collisions. A bicycle in good working condition and a helmet are required for the on-bike skills session on a parking lot and a group ride on the streets.
All participants or their guardians will need to complete and sign this Waiver in order to participate.
- When: Class takes place every other month at different locations (Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Goleta & Carpinteria)
- Time: 6:30-8:00pm on Friday, 9:00am-1:00pm on Saturday
- Cost: $25 (include patch kit, tire levers & a bike map). Scholarships & new helmets available: contact Education Director
- Limited to 12 pre-registered and paid participants
- IMPORTANT: Class registration on page of Confident City Cycling (part 1) closes 24 hours prior (Thursday at 6:30pm). There is ONLY ONE REGISTRATION for the 2 workshops. Walk-in are not accepted.
CHALLENGE & EDUCATE YOURSELF
* Check out educational videos and review California traffic laws HERE
FYI: Confident City Cycling is a pre-requisite for candidates looking for certification during an additional 30 hour LCI training seminar.
Testimonial by Kate Faulkner, president of the Channel Islands Bicycle Club
"Thank you for offering this workshop to the community! I attended with friends with differing levels of experience riding on city streets. We all learned new safety tips about how to ride comfortably in traffic and really quick check-up we can do to keep our bikes running smoothly. I most appreciated the short group ride on Santa Barbara streets because we talked about every intersection and road situation both before and after riding through them. Confident City Cycling is a terrific mix of classroom demonstrations, simple bike maintenance, and cycling."
Adult Bike Education is supported by Measure A, the County of Santa Barbara, the City of Santa Barbara, the City of Goleta, the City of Carpinteria, and the City of Santa Maria.
506 E Haley St
Santa Barbara , CA 93103
Google map and directions