Listed below are positions for hire at SBBIKE. Feel free to email a cover letter and resume, or come by SBBIKE during business hours.
Santa Barbara Bici Centro Program Manager (see below)
ORGANIZATION: Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition
TITLE: Santa Barbara Bici Centro Program Manager
JOB TYPE: 40 hrs/week
PAY RATE: $17.50- 21.50/ Hour
The Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (SBBIKE) is a countywide organization that promotes bicycling for safe transportation and recreation. Bici Centro, a project of SBBIKE, is a community DIY bicycle repair shop and education center, with the goal of facilitating skill share and increased reliability and safety for all Santa Barbara bicycle riders. There are 3 Bici Centro facilities: one in Downtown Santa Barbara, one at Santa Barbara City College and one in Santa Maria.
Shop operations in the Santa Barbara shop is the primary emphasis of this role. It includes new inventory (purchasing, ordering, stocking, and counting), used inventory management (donation receiving, processing, pricing, stocking of working sellable parts, recycle or non-usable parts), setting and maintaining shop open hours, setting and maintaining a staff schedule, training staff and volunteers in bicycle mechanics and shop procedures, and maintaining shop resources.
SB Bici Centro Program Manager will establish a positive and welcoming environment for all. PM is responsible for communicating with all staff, implementing procedures pertaining to shop safety, shop organization, staffing, volunteering, and open shop as well as support for all sister programming. The PM is responsible for monthly shop committee meetings and monthly shop staff meetings. The PM will collaborate with shop committee members, volunteers, and staff to develop, plan, and implement programs with the goal of creating a safe and welcoming community space, all the while facilitating safe and healthy staff, volunteer, and customer interactions.
The PM will work with the Education Director to provide mechanical support for education programs. This includes, but isn’t limited to, ordering, staffing events, coordinating volunteer mechanics, and providing input on existing and new programs such as “Community Bike Build”, “Learn Your Bike classes”....
The PM will work with the Associate Director for day to day program oversight and all matters related to hiring and staff management.
• Excellent bicycle mechanics skills, demonstrated through previous bike shop employment, relevant experience, or relevant certifications.
• Ability to lead by example and good attitude to give direction to shop staff and volunteers in order to promote safety, efficiency, and a welcoming environment for all.
• Knowledgeable in “best practices” and ability to lead us in areas of: safety, organization, staffing and mechanical repairs.
• Will help manage accounts that affect inventory in satellite shops.
• Proficiency in both educational and retail environments, including customer management and point of sale systems.
• Ability to support volunteers and their essential work with our community.
• Ability to recognize and foster skills of staff and volunteers, to create a well coordinated and efficient working collaboration.
• Self-motivated person who can work efficiently and effectively in both a chaotic environment and a solo situation
• Strong communication skills including: interpersonal, electronic, and group setting. Spanish speaking preferred.
• Ability to effectively teach in both one-on-one and class settings.
• Experience in a leadership role within a non-profit organization or retail shop.
• Experience recruiting, scheduling, and training volunteers and creating a professional shop environment that makes them feel proud to volunteer.
• Ability to establish relationships with volunteers and staff to create a community space.
• Organizational skills, ability to delegate.
• Computer literacy and experience with Point of Sale systems.
• Commitment to the use of the bicycle as a legitimate form of transportation.
• Other duties as assigned.
Please send your resume to Ellen Willis-Conger: email@example.com
We will begin to review appropriate candidates on 11/1/18
Open Shop Shift Leader (see below)
ORGANIZATION: Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition
TITLE: Open Shop Shift mechanic/leader
JOB TYPE: Payroll
PAY RATE: DOE, starting at $12-15/hr
Bici Centro, a program of the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition, is a community DIY bicycle repair shop and education center, with the goal of facilitating skill share and increased reliability and safety for Santa Barbara bicycle riders.
We are hiring to facilitate open shop shifts each week.
Shifts are between the hours of: 11:30 am and 7:30 pm Monday - Saturday
Reports to: Associate Director
• teaching patrons bicycle repair skills
• greeting and signing in patrons of the shop
• coordinating and appropriately tasking shop volunteers
• operation of cash register and POS system
• organizing shop pre and post open hours
• Background in bicycle mechanics
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and maintain awareness of all happenings in a busy shop
• Background in community based projects, community service, or non-profit work
• Knowledge of Santa Barbara Bicycle Community and safe bicycle riding practices, safe practice with tools and cleaning solutions
• Firmly believes in bicycles as a viable form of transportation
• Preferably bilingual in English and Spanish
Please email a resume and a brief greeting to Ellen@sbbike.org or call 805.845-8955 to set up a time to drop by.