BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors of the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (aka SBBike + COAST), subject to any limitations in the Article of Incorporation and the laws of the State of California, exercises all corporation powers and controls the business and affairs of the Coalition. It guides organizational planning and sets priorities among competing demands for resources.
The Board is made up of volunteers who bring a passion for the Mission and Vision of the organization as well as specific skill sets, including leadership, management, and philanthropic experience to the overall governance of the organization. They are appointed to three year terms and are expected to fulfill the duties listed below while always asking good and timely questions as part of their oversight duties. Board members commit to 9 meetings a year plus additional preparation time and participation in Board Committees.
David Dennis, President
Nancy Mulholland, Vice President
Dawn Mitcham, Treasurer
Greg Janee, Secretary
Joanna Kaufman, Director
Blake Stok, Director
Contact: [email protected]
- Determine the Organization’s Mission and Purpose
- Select the Executive Director
- Support the Executive Director and Review his/her Performance
- Insure Effective Organizational Planning
- Ensure Adequate Resources
- Manage Resources Effectively
- Determine and Monitor the Organization’s Programs & Services
- Enhance the Organization’s Public Image.
- Provide Oversight of HR policies and procedures including a formal grievance policy.
- Assess the Board's Own Performance (every 3-5 years)
- Support the Organization’s Annual Fundraising Plan and make SBBike + COAST a priority in your charitable giving.
Procedure for appointing new Board of Director members:
Thank you for considering serving on the SBBike + COAST Board of Directors. Here is the procedure for the appointment of new Board members:
- Potential nominee attends at least two(2) Board meetings as an observer to assess interest in serving in this volunteer capacity;
- The potential nominee submits a completed application Board application to [email protected];
- The Governance Committee reviews all applications, interviews all nominees as to how best they can support the organization, and makes a recommendation to the full Board;
- The Board receives the Committee recommendation and votes on appointment.
All Board members are provided with a New Board Member Orientation Session and materials. Onboarding with an existing member helps explore engagement opportunities and establish expectations.