SANTA BARBARA BICYCLE COALITION
Santa Barbara County, California
Executive Director Job Announcement
The Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition is a county-wide organization that promotes bicycling for safe transportation and recreation.
We envision Santa Barbara County as a great place for everyday, year-round bicycling – for transportation and recreation – that is safe and accessible for everyone. We will work toward building healthy and vibrant communities with clean air and low-stress, safe streets.
The Executive Director (E.D.) reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for leadership, oversight and management of the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (aka SB BIKE), including its Education and Advocacy programs, and three Bici Centro community bike shops. This is an amazing opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of the organization and the active transportation movement for the region. The next E.D. will partner with an invigorated board and deeply committed staff on the development of a strategic plan that will propel SB Bike forward as it advances a transparent, inclusive, and values-driven culture. Working closely with the Board of Directors and staff, you will sustain and build our successful track record in the Santa Barbara region.
We’re seeking a candidate with an entrepreneurial attitude and the ability to successfully manage a county wide organization for growth. The right candidate will need to be an inclusive, strategic, and organized leader with strong operations, financial, staff management, and partnership development experience. The E.D. is asked to be a thoughtful communicator, inspirational leader, manager and champion not only for our organization, but for the cycling goals of our communities. Above all else, the E.D. must be committed to building safe, equitable, and dignified transportation alternatives for all.
This position includes: building and managing short and long-term relationships with donors; maintaining and expanding the activist base and presence across Santa Barbara County; managing teams of staff and volunteers; leading communications; building a fun, engaging, and outcome-oriented work environment; and serving as a key SB BIKE spokesperson in the media, with government officials, and in the community.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & Management
- Be a collaborative and inspiring team leader.
- Support, manage, develop, and lead a diverse staff of top-quality people, ensuring they have the needed information and tools, and ensure staff capacity to manage existing programs while developing new opportunities.
- Develop an annual operating budget of approximately $1 million in cooperation with the Finance Committee, manage cash-flow, assure compliance with fund restrictions for various grant sources, prepare quarterly financial reports and monthly reviews, and ensure that all program and operational spending is supported by funding that is robust enough to meet or exceed financial goals and objectives.
- Guide and support the Board of Directors in setting SB Bike’s strategic direction and ensuring financial sustainability, while having primary oversight over all operational aspects of the organization.
- Refresh and strengthen SB Bike’s revenue model, including a strategy for how the membership model, fee structure and revenue streams can best support programmatic goals.
- Supervise three community bicycle maintenance facilities and operations in Santa Barbara, SBCC and Santa Maria.
- Promote SB Bike’s priorities and values and contribute thought leadership to the active transportation community.
- Support county-wide efforts by being flexible and present as necessary throughout the region.
- Do what needs to get done to make the mission happen even if it means taking out the trash.
- Maintain information flow between Board and staff, including generating, and supervising the production of, quarterly updates on finances, program, and program development.
- Participate in Board committee meetings as appropriate.
Fundraising & Community Relations
- Work with staff and Board to initiate, develop, and implement fundraising strategies and coordinate fundraising events.
- Prospect foundations, businesses and individuals for grants and major gifts and assure high quality of applications and solicitation materials.
- Lead efforts to identify and successfully apply for government grants for active transportation funding.
- Serve as the public face of the organization promoting community relations, media coverage, and community recognition.
- Guide overall processes of program design, implementation, and evaluation in collaboration with staff and Board.
- Identify and engage with community partners to deliver services and implement policy strategies.
- Maintain, develop, and/or create programs responding to distinct needs of SB County’s regions.
- Collaborate with non-profits, government, and private organizations to further SB Bike’s vision.
CORE COMPETENCIES & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing and leading a non-profit, including strategic development, community engagement, budget, financial management, fundraising and operations [Comparable private sector plus volunteer nonprofit work is acceptable].
- Experience effectively galvanizing others to co-create thriving and sustainable communities.
- Experience convening multi-racial, cross-class groups to work toward shared social impact goals.
- The new E.D. must be able to tell the story of SB Bike and its mission in a compelling way that inspires others to join and invest.
- As the leader of an organization that has been through a lot of transition, the new E.D. must be a skilled team builder with a proven ability to develop and manage high-performing board and staff teams.
- Be a results-oriented leader with a proven track record of driving growth and impact through action.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Significant experience and comfort with mission-driven fundraising and/or asking for contributions of time and money will be an important key to success. Experience leading and managing a membership organization or a group with a large and engaged constituency will also be a significant advantage.
- Knowledge of Santa Barbara County and government (or other local governments), and an understanding of the local and regional philanthropic sector and the dynamics of the nonprofit funding environment is a plus.
- Non-profit business model development experience.
- Passion and commitment to active transportation/bicycling.
- A natural connector with excellent listening, communication, and relationship building skills, who can authentically build bridges between people from different communities, sectors, and backgrounds.
- Be a leader who is at their best when they are acting as a mentor and coach, encouraging others to step up and shine.
- Multi-tasker, detailed oriented and time management skills.
- Collaborative and willing to understand existing organizational culture and style.
- Excellent oral, written and electronic communication skills
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends.
This is a salaried, full-time position. Starting pay is between $65k-$95K depending on depth of experience. Full time benefits include vacation and sick leave and a health insurance stipend with goal of organization health insurance to be acquired in the near future.
- Send a two to three minute video in support of your candidacy. This could show your passion and/or strengths, how you would represent or promote our organization in the community.
- Send a resume and a cover letter outlining your skills, qualifications and salary expectations.
- Send the above to the Search Committee at email@example.com.
Please save and upload your written documents in one combined PDF document.
Send video in either WMV, MOV, or MP4 format. YouTube or Vimeo link is also acceptable.
- Applications will be accepted until May 15, 2020. Applicants should be able to assume leadership by June 2020. Position is open until filled.
SBBIKE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It's fun to work here